I love the spices that appear in fall, none more so than Nutmeg. It really wakes up your taste buds and, when combined with other fall flavors, is just out of this world. That’s why I love this recipe of hazelnutty mocha because it uses Nutmeg as a flavor-enhancing spice in a drink you can use all season long.
For special occasions, this mocha will be a crowd-pleaser. The chocolate mixture can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. Brew the coffee at the last minute.
What is a Hazelnut Mocha Macchiato?
The hazelnut mocha macchiato was created by coffee lovers who wanted something that tasted great and wasn’t too sweet but also gave them the authentic taste of coffee.
A traditional hazelnut mocha macchiato is made with steamed Sumatran coconut milk and hazelnut syrup. It’s topped with espresso, which cuts through the sweetness, and finished with a mocha or vegan chocolate drizzle.
Making Hazelnutty Mocha
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pour cream into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add sugar and cinnamon, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour this mixture over the chocolate in a bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Stir in liqueur.
- Bring the milk to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, about 15 seconds (do not overbeat).
- For each serving, spoon 1/4 cup into mugs.
- Top with 3/4 cup coffee; stir to dissolve.
- Top with whipped cream if desired, and chocolate syrup drizzle.
Taste Profile of Hazelnutty Mocha
The hazelnut mocha macchiato is a delicious drink with subtle hints of hazelnut, but it still has the aromatic taste of coffee. You can experiment with this drink, having it hot or cold and adding more hazelnut syrup for a stronger nutty taste.
This is the time of year when many people—including me—start to transition into drinking more hot beverages in place of cold drinks. And if you’re a fan of flavored lattes, this hazelnut-flavored coffee drink here is delicious and fairly easy to put together.
It’s a great alternative to a standard mocha, and with some practice, you may even discover ways to adapt it to your own latte concoction preferences. Good luck, and happy sipping!